This is a talk Sir Robinson gave about his book The Element, which I still need to read when I am done writing and speaking for a bit.
Here are some of the quick notes I jotted down from the talk:
“The Element” is the convergence of two things: Natural ability AND Passion.
1. Just because you have the natural ability to do something, it doesn’t mean you should.
2. This isn’t just related to pursuing the arts. Your passion can be anywhere from any field, not just “poetry, painting, writing, or design.”
3. Just be honest with yourself. What do you love? And what are you good at?
Things that can hinder a person from being in their element:
1. Environment (There aren’t many great scuba divers living in the desert)
2. Outside opinion of friends or family
3. Society’s elevation of the Academic over other dispositions